POSSIBLE BUGS IN GEFEN PEARL BARLEY
THIS IS NOT A WARNING OF INFESTATION IN GEFEN PEARL BARLEY
Hillygram has NOT verified this warning.
A community member on Friday wrote into the Hillygram to tell us they found bugs.
(see email below that was sent to us)
“Gefen pearl barley
Best by May 10,2023 was swarming with bugs today. Looked like moving dust.
Please check thoroughly before using.”
This is a good opportunity to remind ourselves to check barley.
Below are some recommended methods to check for bugs.
- Soaking Method:
- Place all the barley you wish to use in a white bowl, and fill the bowl with water, a few inches over the top of the barley.
- Allow to sit for 15-20 minutes. If insects are present, they will float to the top. If any do, repeat the process, and if no more are then found, the barley may be used.
- Plate Method:
- Place a small pile of barley – about two ounces at a time – on a white paper plate (not plastic, which creates a shine) with good overhead light that illuminates the plate.
- Use a finger or a fork to drag a small amount of barley away from the pile, spreading that barley in a single layer. Visually inspect the spread- apart barley, looking for webbing, black insects and white or tan worms between or under the kernels.
- Repeat this until the entire pile has been checked. Then do the same for the rest of the barley in the package.